Most of my friends are pretty familiar with my tendency to assign nicknames to people and then quickly forget their common name. And so it was that most of them had come to hear of my "relationship" with the Cheese Chick. I had maintained this private little assignation on and off for a few years and she was always open, almost encouragingly so, to experimentation... a passion to which I've already alluded.
Kim became quite accustomed to my arriving home on a Saturday afternoon exclaiming that I'd been to see the Cheese Chick and she'd let me try a couple things.... a raw milk brie de Meaux, a semi-hard Le D'Iberville, or Le Migneron de Charlevoix (the 2002 winner of the Canadian Cheese Grand Prix) http://www2.dairyfarmers.org/engl/recipes/4_1_1_1_36.asp.
And so I felt what I'm sure was a tinge of Jealousy(?) when my friend, Winefoodguy, who was part way through the Sommelier program at Alongquin College, mentioned casually (too casually!) that he had met.... the Cheese Chick.
It seemed the gig was up. But how did he know - I was always so very careful?!
It seemed that he was sitting in some sommelier course next to this young lady... the professor suggests tasting a bordeaux and out of her purse she pulls a small wedge of Swiss Tilseter (okay, it may not have been a Tilseter - but in my memory that's what was deserved). Now my friend, WineFoodguy, never one to miss an opportunity, starts peppering her with questions (I mean, how many women do you know carry a wedge of cheese in their purse); and the sultry truth is revealed... she works at The House of cheese, in the Byward Market... The Cheese Chick.
I think I could have handled the exposure better if it wasn't so obvious that the attraction was strictly one of cheese.
But as a last reminder, let me introduce to you to a little experiment of mine - what I would like to think is a truly marvellous twist on the Basil/Bocconcini/tomato fair that has become all too standard on the menu's of Ottawa... my Tomatoes Richelieu. http://cwkrecipes.blogspot.com/2005/07/tomatoes-richelieu.html ; check out my recipe section.
Monday, July 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
KILLLLBBBBEEEEY!
Love the blog. So glad to hear that you and St Kim are still enjoying life together, and that you've still got your great love of food. Can't recall the last meal we had together. Must be years ago. Sounds like your cooking has improved, although I'm not sold on Tortilla Soup... but never having had your TS, I suppose I can't comment! Now, is there an easy way to search that darn dairy farmer website to find the recipe for Tomatoes Richelieu? (the name makes me think it would be tomatoes marinated in scotch).
Thanks Christine - I put the wrong link up (my cooking is better than my web skills) - check out my recipe section at the right of the web site. - I invented it.
Wow...for someone who earned your respect and admiration why'd ya have to name her Cheese Chick? Then again, you call me Grump..let's work on more creative nicknames....
Gwen
Post a Comment