Sunday, August 21, 2005

Always Learning

One of the things I really love about cooking is that I'm always learning. Now, with learning comes some interesting trade-offs - like the time I tried to do a Texas BBQ with a point brisket for 10 hours on low heat, when 4 hours was pretty much all that was required. But hey, that's why God invented the corner pub.

And the funny thing about learning in the kitchen is that sometimes everyone else has long ago mastered what you think is the latest break-through in culinary arts. Well, such was the case a few months back when I finally learned how to "pan-fry" something - as the restaurant menu's would say. This may seem pretty straightforward to many of you, but to me, this was a major break-through that has forever changed the way in which I cook.

So, if you already know how to "pan-fry" something - skip ahead, pick up your book, or turn on the re-run of today's fabulous inaugural Turkish Grand Prix. But if you haven't, then read on.

Quite simply, I learned - and unfortunately I can't remember who to acknowledge - that when you pan-fry something you simply sear it in the frying pan and finish it off in the oven. This is un-frickin' believeable. Since I learned this little trick I have mastered the ability to cook a perfect steak - blue, rare, medium-rare or, though never to be found in my house, well-done. I have perfected crispy skin chicken, and pretty much crusted-anything. I've also seriously reduced my use of propane for my barbecue because, frankly, I find that steaks done this way are superior - if only for the flexibility it offers for sauces. The only subtlety in all of this is the amount of time required in the oven varies depending upon the thickness of the meat; and obviously depending upon the type and cut.

... so while you put the steak in the oven and finish it for 6 minutes (rare), you drain off the potatoes, steam the green beans, and get everything ready for the sauce; and when the steak comes out and you let it rest for a minute, you finish the sauce - sauté the mushrooms on high heat in butter, toss in a little brandy - maybe a tbsp - let it bubble away like molten lava for a few seconds, pour in a little jus from some dried porcini mushrooms that you've had soaking, and voilá - an amazing wild mushroom sauce for your perfectly done steak; plate it, sprinkle with chives and enjoy, along side a wonderful Oregon Pinot Noir from Amity Vineyards.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey roo,
I gotta tell you I'm mighty impressed with the pics you've got along with the blog. Are you developing a side line of food photography, in addition to food writing?
But onto the pan-fry. Agree it's great, but 2 things I'm not crazy about. First of all, frying anything stinks up the house, even with the fan on super-high. And in the summer, I don't think anything beats the BBQ. That said, I have a great pan fry recipe for Green Peppercorn Steak which I will send to you. Actually, the full name for the recipe is "Jay's Fuckin' Fantastic Green Peppercorn Steak from Portugal", and on the recipe he sent me he mentions that one should complete the meal with much crazed sex. I haven't tried this, but perhaps you can let your gentle readers know your outcome with the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Will do. Thanks. No sideline on the pictures, but I do have my sites set on launching a proper website on a bunch of food topics.

I'll look forward to the green peppercorn recipe.

Oh, and I'm not sure I agree with the "stinking up the house" since it's only on theire for a minute a side max - but maybe I've been lucky. See ya.