Sunday, August 14, 2005

The ROI of Cooking

If I was ever truly honest in that age-old interview question "tell me 3 things your friends would say about you", I would probably have to answer:

  1. He loves to cook
  2. He's lazy - well, maybe lazy's a little harsh; but he does kinda try to take the easy way out sometimes; and, of course
  3. He procrastinates.

For the sake of this entry we'll also add a 4th one - "he's a bit of a number's geek". This, surprisingly, is true - give me an excel spreadsheet and I'll instantly want to "pivot-table" something.... anything.

So it should come as no great surprise to anyone that I've come up with a tried-and-true formula for calculating whether you should go to the bother of cooking something yourself, or just save yourself the grief, head out to your favorite proprietor, drop down some cash and enjoy the time saved.

Quite simply, in my theory everything in the kitchen can be looked at in terms of 4 indecies, each one measured on a scale of 1 to 10. Combine these in a formula and you have, what I call, your Cooking ROI - or a cook's version of the old "make versus buy":

  • Cost - basically nothing more than the price to buy something versus the cost to make it;
  • Time - the time invested in making something (including prep & clean-up) versus running out and getting it;
  • Satisfaction - this one is entirely subjective - what's the satisfaction of having done it yourself (now be honest - include the grief of screwing up - don't forget about the time you tipped the cake tin upside down as you put it into the oven - and factor in the downside of cleaning up the mess afterwards);
  • Taste - another subjective one; but pretty easy to measure - does your's taste better than the store's.

Let's start with the basics - all of these can be measured on a scale of 1 to 10; High Cost = 10; Poor Taste = 1: and everyone has their own scale - so some food snob (me, as an example) might say that "anything President's Choice" has a taste index of 2; whereas some Plebian Suburbite who doesn't know Ottawa's best patisserie from a Dunkin Donut's might rank the same President's Choice "Tastes of Okinawa" as being on par with Sushi from Nobu. It's really all about determining your own Cooking ROI.

And the formula is quite simple:

Cooking ROI = (Satisfaction x Taste)/(Cost x Time)

Let's see an example:

The question often comes up in my family about why I don't bake bread.... for as long as I can remember, my mother baked bread... it was obviously a gene that was passed on to my sister, because she also bakes her own bread. But alas, my brother and I, obviously sharing a similar Cooking ROI, wouldn't conceive of baking our own bread. Not that there's anything wrong with baking your own bread - it's just why would you?! At best, assuming you're not living like The Little House on the Prairie, there's a better than even chance that there's a pretty good bakery within a 1 kilometre radius of your house - that's darn near walking distance if you're not from Texas! So let's see how this ROI thing would work for my brother and me:


Now, to me, bread-baking requires a whole lotta clean-up; I know from personal experience as a kid growing up in my mother's house - that seriously cuts down on the Satisfaction index; and as long as you're buying from a good bakery (and not that Ace Bakery stuff that is 50% holes) your Taste index is going to be pretty high. Weigh that against the time it takes to bake and clean-up, and the cost (and here I was pretty generous since a loaf of your best bread is $3.00 at most) and the ROI clearly comes out in favour of buying bread.

Now, I don't want to belabour the point - obviously everyone is different, and everyone has their own personal Cooking ROI. But let's have a look at another one - this one is one of my favorites - your basic Salsa - and here, I won't use your "Tastes of Mexico" salsa, but to be fair, maybe a good one from Frontera Kitchens; - but for me, the result is the same:


And there you have it. Now, I'm not going to trade mark this little formula; this is open-source - my contribution to making life easier in the kitchen. So next time someone asks you to bring desert - think seriously about the time you threw the pastry against the wall in that vane attempt to emulate your mother's apple pie - and get yourself down to The Three Tarts.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey 'roo
I lived for years with a guy who would say 'it's good, but not worth the effort'. This line infuriated the hell out of me due to its entirely subjective nature, and that it's almost impossible to quantify the absolute pleasure of cooking for friends and lovers (hopefully plural for both, says the new and happy singleton!). I will have to see if the cooking ROI will help in the future. Now, with regards to pies, I could not agree more. Both because I have had experience throwing pastry that wasn't doing what it was supposed to do, and because here in the centre of the universe, we have the best, and i do mean the best, pie shop anywhere. Their banana cream pie is without reproach. God save us all from mediocre pie crusts and overly sweet fillings.
love the blog!
cb

Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you CB - I love it - an ROI debate. Quantifying the pleasure for friends and lovers just maximizes out the "Satisfaction" index - now what's that symbol again for infinity? So tell you what, you show me yours and I'll show you mine. Next time you're in Ottawa, we'll have something from The Three Tarts - and next time I (or we) get to the "Centre of the Universe" you can take me to your pie place. Date?

The Devine Mrs. B said...

Ohhh...this is one of the better posts! I love that you reference the Three Tarts, as I brought in treats to work from there recently and was met with many a blank stare when I handed out these high-quality morsels and name-dropped where I picked them up. On the other hand, today my lunch consists of homemade spinach and parmesan ravioli that Andrew made from scratch last night. It looked like fun to roll out the dough with the roller, and he finally got to use the ravioli stamper he got at Williams Sonoma. And, while he was busy in the kitchen, my guilt was reduced over watching reality TV (rockstar INXS), which he dislikes, and I also chatted with my girlfriend on the phone for half an hour. I may be in a better position to agree or disagree after I taste the ravioli this afternoon....

Anonymous said...

Date it is! Hope to see you and 'Saint Kim' soon.
cb

Anonymous said...

I must say if anyone was actually going to sit down and create a formula to let them know to either cook or order, I am not surprised to find out it was you. Kudos to you for actually creating one tangible enough to actually work.

Anonymous said...

for someone and someone's brother who literally devoured a loaf of mother's bread on arrival a couple of months ago, I would say your home made vs bought bread ROI is somewhat askew.

KJ

Karen Holmes said...

Your excelness is both strange and scary. I can't use pivot tables without consulting the online "help", I am a proud Plebian Suburbite, the president has a permanent home in my kitchen and my satisfaction score for all cooking activities is likely a negative number. This is fantastic - I may never have to cook again - the ROI for take out will always prevail.