Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The Secret Sauce

If I look back, I think I can credit my sister with this one. On one of my visits, when she had rustled up some hamburgers for dinner, I was desperately looking through her fridge - always an adventure - for some mayonnaise - I am a Big "Mayo on burger" person. One of my nieces came to my rescue, pointing out that "Mum never buys mayonnaise - she only ever makes it", after which she added "are you still sure you want some?" I wasn't, actually - but I went ahead all the same; and from that day on, I've been a convert - an evangelist for making your own mayonnaise.

Not only is making mayonnaise simple, it introduces a whole range of new opportunities, constrained only by your imagination: chipotle mayonnaise with a hint of adobo sauce, caper mayonnaise, the French classic Aioli, or one of my favorites, tarragon mayonnaise. And once you've experimented with different mayonnaises, everything from salad dressings to French Fries takes on a whole new dimension.

My most recent addition was a Wasabi Mayonnaise, which was a perfect accompaniment to a Tuna Sashimi Salad. In the end, I've called it a Tuna Sashimi Salad with a Celery & Nori Ganita, and a Wasabi Mayonnaise accompaniment. Sounds interesting eh?



It was a only a first course, followed by a Miso Soup with buckwheat Noodles, but I think the Wasabi mayonnaise is what really tipped the whole thing over the edge.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - you're even editing your pictures to add fancy frames and leaving out icky blue counter tops. Should we expect a photoeditingwithkilby blog soon as well ; )

Anonymous said...

I just made some Mayo in my new Food Processor this weekend. It does make a difference but you also find out how much oil there is in it:).

Once you can make your own mayo it's easy to make Shwarma sauce. Just add a couple table spoons of lemon juice, salt and a few cloves of garlic once you have the mayo whipped up.

Anonymous said...

Thanks garlic andrew, good suggestion. I wonder what that would be like with just a tsp or Tbsp of Tahini too - just to reinforce the Middle Eastern flavour - I'll have to try this.