Saturday, September 03, 2005

Not Just Another Breakfast Drink

I have long since believed that some of the best beers in Canada can be found in Quebec. I know that’s a sweeping generalization, but I’ve tried microbreweries in almost every province, P.E.I. aside, and for the quality and the range on offer quite simply, Quebec microbreweries are doing things with beer that isn’t even on the radar in other locales.

That’s not to say there aren’t some great beers to be found across Canada. My brother and I tried a really good, hoppy Pale Ale when we were in Victoria recently, brewed in Oak Bay; and my own local favorite is a very bitter Pale Ale, brewed in Fitzroy Harbour, of all places, just outside of Ottawa – that has got to be roughly akin to finding a fine Cabernet from Scarborough. But in almost any Depanneur that you go into in Quebec, you can find a range of beer that will provide an afternoon of experimentation – solid entertainment for a rainy day at the cottage.

The Belgian-style Maudite, Diable and Troise Pistoles have been around for some time; McAuslin mastered the fruit beers a few years back – I think the Blueberry ale was one of my favs and I personally have been a devout St Ambroise drinker, both the Pale Ale and the Oatmeal Stout, for closing on a decade. But the other day, in Morin Heights, I walked in to the General Store and picked up a small carton (a 6-pack to you Neanderthals who are still drinking shopping-centre beer) of Coup de Grison.

Just listen to this – “With a potent, explosive taste, this beer has a powerful aroma of buckwheat and coriander giving it an unbelievable density”. Buckwheat and Coriander! What more could you ask for with your pancakes...

No comments: