Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The Passing of My Best Friend

My friend was a true food lover. He wasn't discriminating - not a food critic or foodie-type food lover. Just a plain lover of food in a very honest "I love to eat" sort of way - there were no pretences... although he never went for lettuce.

We would get up early together - at 5:30, and he would dance around in circles, barking for me to hurry up with his breakfast. You would know when he was eating and could go back to sleep -it didn't matter that there were visitors . He barked at one volume - and I loved it - he was happy.

As he got older he danced less, and barked less, but he still loved his breakfast.

A treat held special appeal - "I'll sit, heal and lie down for a treat but you can't make me stay... not here.... I'm coming with you.... I love you.... and you have the treats."

Like so man of us bread was his greatest weakness. It was from him that I learned that frozen bread actually had a smell. I could pull a baguette from the freezer, hard enough that I could hit one across the garage roof, and he would appear. Anticipating. It was a cruel irony that I turned this on him - it was the subterfuge to get him to eat his pills.... that and peanut butter. Pasta was a close second to bread - but much harder to eat. He never mastered the Tramp's flair.

Try washing a bunch of grapes in the morning with somebody nipping at your heals, stepping on your toes trying to get closer to the sink - banking on the ones that pop off the vine... and then trying to catch them before they roll out of sight. Score. Use the same strategy for cherry tomatoes but be careful when you bite into them.

The night was the best. Two of us in bed with him in between, leaning up against me, sleeping. It was the best time of the day - it could make me forget everything.

Which brings me to popcorn.... without butter and salt please. Well, that means a seperate, and smaller bowl - dished first, and fed by hand... it's all about portion control.

Even when he was sick he would find pleasure in a new delicacy - ground beef and rice - one of those Macaroni and Cheese type comfort foods; then when you're fourteen this seems much better than dried kibble, so a day or two of not eating anything will probably upscale the menu a bit.

And there you have it... bread - pasta - grapes - peanut butter - cheese - popcorn - ground beef & rice.... oh, and Scott's nose. As my friend's eyesight started to go apparently my nose bore a striking resemblance to a treat... so the odd nip... just to sample.

Go with God Haida... my best friend ever.


03 '91 - 12 '05