Friday, February 17, 2006

A Canadian Breakfast

What is a full Canadian Breakfast?

When someone tells me that an English breakfast is included, I know exactly what to expect: Fried eggs, back bacon (or the English equivalent thereof), fried tomatoes and fried bread - a good English breakfast. But when someone informs me that for $19.95 I receive unlimited local calls, 24 hours of high speed wireless internet connection and a Full Canadian Breakfast, I'm at a loss.

So I did what every normal GenX Canadian would do - I googled it... and apparently google was stumped. Sure, I got a lot of hits on Full Canadian Breakfast; there were a lot of people who seemed to have jumped on the bandwagon and were prepared to offer one - but I was still hard-pressed to define what I'd be getting. Here's a good example, from Ucluelet (how Canadian is that?!):

"We serve a full Canadian Breakfast between 8:30 and 9:00 am in the dining room (earlier on request). Our breakfast is served on fine china and crystal with linen napkins and lace tablecloth. Muffins are baked daily and served along with fresh fruit, cereal, cheese, hot cooked items, juice, coffee, tea, etc."

...That doesn't sound very Canadian to me... linen napkins and lace tablecloth?

Now, try that with an English Breakfast. First off, Google hits you right off the bat with a definition of an English Breakfast, quoted from the Georgian Index.... "oatmeal with sweet cream, smoked herrings, sardines with mustard sauce, grilled trout with white butter sauce, cold veal pies, grilled kidneys, sausages with mashed potatoes, beef tongue with hot horseradish sauce, and, in Dr. Johnson's words, "enough bacon to feed a hungry army". That might not be my idea of an English breakfast, but it is a formal definition.

The number two hit on Google is from the Wikipedia... what more authoritarian declaration is there than an entry in Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_English_breakfast. I mean, let's face it - that picture is about as appetizing as Bubbles and Squeek, but at least it made it into Wikipedia....

and a Canadian Breakfast? Well, I'm picturing something that includes a cup of Tim Horton's for starters.

No comments: