Ace Bakery has made quite a name for itself. It first came to my attention when it expanded beyond Toronto a little over five years ago, coming to Ottawa first with its family of baguettes, then with four new breads; and more recently with a line of "Artisan Crisps".
When the Ace baguette first hit the scene I was not a huge fan - perhaps I was just being contrarian, but I think it had way too many holes to warrant the accolades it received. Five years later I've come to accept the Ace baguette - perhaps I've matured, become less critical. . . or I've come to terms with what it is, a good utilitarian baguette - not as good as Kevin Mathieson's Art-is-in Bakery baguettes, or as traditional as the French Baker's, but it is a good daily baguette.
The Artisan Crisps, however, slay me. They come in four flavours: Olive Oil and Sea Salt, Cranberry and Raisin, Rosemary and Sea Salt, and Multigrain. These "Artisan Crisps" are the perfect food example of the Doctor Scholl's marketing phenomenon - the genius of making minor changes to one product to evolve an entirely new one - eg: taking their standard insole, cutting a hole in the toe and marketing it for bunions. From a business perspective it's sheer genius.
I'm not saying that the Artisan Crisps are not good - in fact, the Rosemary and Sea Salt ones are darn good - perhaps a little salty, but very tasty. But they cost $4.99. . . and you get all of 20 pieces in a box!
Go buy a Baguette - an Ace Bakery baguette if you will! This will cost you anywhere from $1.49 to $2.49. The average baguette is 45cm long - that's 40 Crisp-wannabee's. Slice up the baguette in 1 cm slices, lay them flat on a cookie sheet and drizzle each piece with olive oil, rosemary and sea salt - or use the herbs and spices of your choice - I often use Herbs de Provence, or even a variety of powdered chilies. And to make it a little easier you can put the bread slices in a bowl and then drizzle them with olive oil, mixing them with your hands before laying them out on the cookie sheet and sprinkling with herbs. Then just toast them in the oven at 300 or 325 until slightly brown.
These are the easy things in the kitchen that don't come close to costing you $4.99 for half as much. I'm far from an expert, but even with two little urchins clinging to each of your legs I think this is the better route. With a salad and some roasted chicken it is a great meal.
I have to applaud the folks at Ace Bakery. I know a person or two (actually four) who believe they're business guru's, who could learn a thing or two from the folks at Ace Bakery. But this doesn't mean we can't teach the folks at the Bakery a little about value-based pricing.
Saturday, May 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Those Crisps are highly addictive. Worth every penny! Kudos to ACE.
Totally agree - they are very tasty and highly addictive; which is why I'd prefer to take 5 minutes, make my own, and use the extra $2 I'd have to spend on each box and put it towards something I can't make - like a 3 Tarts "Symphony of Chocolate", or fresh morels.
i'm trying to learn how to cook, thanks for sharing your ideas... Busby SEO challenge
KabonFootPrint
If you are open to having a guest blog poster please reply and let me know. I will provide you with unique content for your blog, thanks.
Post a Comment