Sunday, June 08, 2008

Multiculturalism

I boldly state that I am a fan of the Kaftan. We can learn from countries where 300 plus temperatures are a regular occurrence, and while my manhood may be questioned I prefer to fall back on comfort and a little international flair. I recall my introduction to the Kaftan when I was sixteen and I attended a costume party at the Australian embassy in Beijing - choosing to dress as a sixteen year old Arab lad for a costume party in an international community has its drawbacks! But in the words of the Kinks “I’m not the world’s most masculine man but I know what I am I’m glad I’m a man . . .


There is a symbiotic relationship between Fashion and Food. So when I’m hot I tend towards cuisine from hot climates - and among my favorites are Middle Eastern, Mexican and Caribbean.  Tonight it was the latter. Early on I decided to rotisserie a pork loin that I had been marinating in a citrus rub. I popped down to the Byward Fruit Market and picked up a couple of Plantains that I eventually transformed into some great plantain fritters (infused with mint, lime zest, chives and finely chopped jalapeno’s); I made a mango salsa, with Tomatillo, green onion, lime juice and mint; and I shaved a cucumber that I mixed with lime juice and vanilla-infused salt.  To finish this, I took the juice that had drained from the pork and added it to some coconut milk and lime juice, which I reduced, and used as a very rich, slightly tart sauce over the plantain fritters that had just a hint of sweetness and a fiery after taste from the finely chopped red serrano peppers.


I was very happy. My neighbours have a helicopter landing pad that overlooks my back yard - and it offends me. So when I step outside to check on the pork, wearing a Kaftan, I am slightly self-conscious. But I imagine that I am much more comfortable than they, and I’m going to have a much more flavourful meal - appropriate to the climate.

No comments: