To those of you who know me it should come as no surprise that I've been accused of being arrogant - a comment usually followed by a noun! On occasion it's combined with an adjective, presumptuous perhaps! Conveyed with enough emotion (slamming doors help - airborne glass for sure), it has been known to make me pause, ponder recent behaviour, and consider amends. . . consider!
The other night I mentioned to a colleague that I rarely went out for dinner (boy's nights out aside); I'm pretty sure I detected an inquisical scoff.
Yes, I'm a person who loves food - and I enjoy experiencing what local chefs have on fare. But it's true, I would much rather spend three hours in the kitchen, listening to some great tunes while Kim finishes off yet another book, and then together enjoy the fruits of the labour in front of the fire rather than spend $200 and take a cab ride home.
And while I have my share of spectacular and entertaining failures, I believe confidently (perhaps misguidedly so) that there is very little on any local menu that I can not match.
Early this evening I pulled out the stove top smoker and, using ash chips, smoked a 3lb piece of Alberta beef filet - which I later finished on the barbecue to give it a crunchy edge; I served this atop a puree of parsnip and potato, with seared carrots and green beans. Around the side was a reduced sauce - red wine, stock, herbs, butter. I served it with an old world Syrah - a 2005 Crozes Hermitage.
On a menu it would have read:
Ash smoked filet of Alberta beef on a puree of PEI potatoe and autumn parsnips, with grilled heirloom carrots and haricots vert.
And that would have been my selection - I would have paid $28 for it and, followed by a cheese plate and a glass of 20 year old Tawny port, I would have recommended it to a friend.
Saturday, March 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I envy that you have three hours in which to create these mouth-watering dishes. Our fare usually consists of some type of meat cut into some type of soup over potatoes or rice. Hardly what I'd pay for in a restuarant.
Scott, if I had your skills and lifestyle, I'd be content to stay at home too!
(Besides, with your nieces and nephews (and their ever-growing families), you're going to need that dinner money to continue your spoiling efforts!! lol)
finally, I found this article again. You have few [url=http://tipswift.com]useful tips[/url] for my school project. This time, I won't forget to bookmark it. :)
Post a Comment