This evening I was watching an older episode of Top Chef on the Food Network and, after watching the results of the food challenge, I couldn't help but draw parallels to my work life - and I suspect that mine is not unique.
The episode had the competitor chefs preparing a meal that was to be served to passengers flying first class on an international flight. The chef who found himself at the blunt end of the competition had chosen to serve halibut on a medley of tomato and corn, with a side serving of broccolini.
His halibut looked like it was nicely cooked, and from the commentary it was acceptable. But he killed the broccolini! He served it to 18 passengers, and every serving was singed. Even I question his choice of broccolini. . . Anthony Bourdain, as one of the judges, went much further - I think he compared it to something someone could have found at the back of Bob Marley's closet. It wasn't pretty!
So what made him serve it?
The halibut, served on top of vegetables, would probably have carried the day - it could well have kept him in the competition till the next round.
But in his mind there was an expectation that a side dish was required. So against his better judgement he plated the side dish of singed broccolini - and as a result he found himself on the next flight home!
Had he passed on the broccolini - let the vacuum of the aircraft's toilet suck it out over Nevada, as an example, he might have been criticized for not having served a side course - he might have been lit up for it. And yet that is clearly what his instinct told him to do. . . but he chose to ignore it. . . and he paid the price.
A few weeks ago I was presenting the plan for a marketing event and the top bullet on my last chart, summarizing the objectives, hit on the tried and true - "generate leads". Now, I didn't believe for a second that the event was about generating leads. But I played to an expectation - and I payed the price. I think I counted ten colourful expletives between two inhales. It was spectacular!
I believe there's a reasonable chance, and I'm prepared to bet my next bonus on it, that if I had not mentioned "lead generation" as an objective for the event I would have been equally lit up - but to me my position would have been more defensible. I didn't believe what I put down and I should have stuck with my principals. It was entirely out of character for me, and even at this late stage in my career, it was an important lesson.
I'm willing to bet that the chef competitor on Top Chef felt the same way. So we both took the safe way out - and paid the price.
Monday, April 05, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Its never about the leads, but always about Hendrik's and tonic.
yup - worth the price.
i enjoyed reading your post. Can i re-post a link in my Foodista account? Thanks!
nice post, keep them coming.
Post a Comment