Thursday, August 25, 2011

The edge of Nirvana

Ok, here's my tip for anyone who has a spare $400K sitting around waiting to be spent - buy property in Hintonburg. And to help all of you folks from Minneapolis, Denver and Northern California who've come across my name in recent days, googled it, and hit upon my blog because of its outstanding "natural search", Hintonburg is a small, once-upon-a-time working class neighbourhood on the east end of the much-sought-after-if-only in-the-minds-of those-who-live -there neighbourhood, Westboro - my new hood!

Yesterday I had lunch at Burnt Butter with a friend and former colleague who works in the area. I'm going to leave my thoughts on the lunch for another time - though even then, for discretion, I'll skip the sharing the dessert scene. She'd read my recent blog post (see: August 20th - An update from the front) on what was missing in Westboro and while she was lamenting the lack of a decent cheese shop, I focused on the missing fishmonger.

As I wrote a week ago, Westboro, has an eastern and western village that are divided by a main north-south artery that amounts to a "green zone" between the two. Common to both are some good pubs and a few restaurants - but it's the eastern end that has obviously captured the imagination of food purveyors. And traversing from west to east is a 20 minute walk; entirely manageable unless you're an impatient, goal-driven individual who seeks instant gratification - in other words, me!

The eastern perimetre of Westboro is a street called Parkdale, which is where you'll find - wait for it - the Parkdale Market. And beyond that there be dragons! Well, not really; but there's a seedy little section of four or five blocks called Hintonburg that I found out yesterday from my friend is frequented by some hookers and male prostitutes. Another service that you don't find in Westboro Village.

Now, this is not why I'm suggesting that Hintonburg represents an investment opportunity!

But it turns out that in addition to these "single-owner businesses", the Elmdale House Tavern, some potentially good new restaurants and pubs (like Burnt Butter, Tennessy Willems, Back Lane Cafe and Alpha Soul), some very cool specialty shops (such as the second location for Oresta - the first being the Glebe), and Uproar Design - all, I might add, within two or three blocks of each other - Hintonburg also has a Fishmonger!

And in my mind, these are all the signs of a neighbourhood being gentrified.

Not being experienced in the real estate market, I'm willing to concede that the presence of a Fishmonger is likely not on the list of criteria for an up-and-coming neighbourhood. But I'm pretty excited. Admittedly, for the time being, it's on the "other side of the tracks". And until I get a Vespa (or a Scooteretti since they're more economical, still functional and look cool), I'll have to get there in the Mini; even with my new-found-fitness I'm too lazy to walk 40 minutes for fresh fish; plus, at least this summer, the walk back would have had some deleterious affects.

And just another word on the Fishmonger - let's call them by their rightful name, Wellington Wholesale Seafood - a couple of cool things:
  • first, open now just eight months, it's run by Stephane LaVoie who you used to be able to find at Lapointe's. And in the few interactions I've had with Stephane while at his former employer's, he seems like a really helpful, nice guy. I've noticed the changeover in personnel at Lapointe's lately, and I've noticed an impact on some of their fish - they used to get some really nice sushi-grade tuna, but I haven't seen its quality in some time. I don't know if there is a causal relationship there, but there's certainly a coincidence.
  • secondly, I chatted very briefly with Stephane at his new spot and he gave me the quick rundown on how and what they stock - it's a little hard to appreciate the range of fish that'll be available because it's not displayed in counters (although it is listed on white boards) - but to it's credit, that's where Stephane comes in because he a) knows fish really well, and b) will cut you a piece of fish to your requirements - and he'll help you along the way - and c) I expect it will be fresher.
For people who've traditionally settled for their seafood from Loblaws a guy like Stephane is going to be indispensable once you've wrapped your brain around making an extra stop to stock up on provisions. And for those who've refused to buy fish at Loblaws, Wellington Wholesale Seafood is a huge plus in the neighbourhood.

I think that Hintonburg is going to quickly chip away at a couple of the other deficiencies in the Westboro food scene - and I may just make a friendly wager with my dessert partner that her desire for a cheese shop will soon be satisfied. If only I had an extra $400K kicking around I think I'd know where to spend it!

No comments: