Ok, this is driving me nuts! The world is going mobile, and more and more restaurants and food services are establishing a mobile presence. Take Zagat, as an example: while I find it a little egregious that I have to pay for an annual subscription to their website and another for their mobile app, I don't hesitate to ante up. When I'm travelling, the Zagat mobile app is indispensable in helping me find a great restaurant near to where I am. Open Table is another example - and there are many restaurants that are launching mobile-friendly sites. To me this only makes sense - mobility equals immediacy. And travellers don't always have the luxury of a decent web browser; so mobile-friendly web sites, or mobile apps for services, provide convenience and service. And "no", I did not just take an endorsement from AT&T or Verizon.
But it's a fair question to ask what the connection is to the local food scene. While I'm a marketing person and therefore, perhaps a bit biased, I'm also a food person - and nowadays I don't make a reservation at a new restaurant unless I've checked out a) a few photo's of the place, and b) the menu; and then, if happy, I go and book a reservation online.
So what is it with these restaurants in Ottawa - and I'm going to pick on the places in Westboro - that don't have a website?! And folks, I'm not talking about a Facebook page, which is all very "jiggy", but not necessarily effective in giving me what I want - namely, the menu, some pictures, a little bit on the background and the Chef, his style and influence, and perhaps a sense of the quality of the place.
It's one thing to read a few comments from Megan and Brett on Yelp or "nameyourcityfoodie.com"; but frankly, unless the local website has some killer social eCommerce engine driving it that matches reviews to my demographic and interest-profile, I'm not too interested in what some 28 year old aesthetician and her lexus-selling boyfriend have to say about the place - or the 32 year mother of two who gets out once a year with her husband on "name that occasion" and, just loves the place - it's their favorite place - they just love it - they go back every year for "name that occasion". . . and the sweet potato fries are just the best!
So Kim and I are off this week (well, to be fair, for the time being I'm perpetually off) and I thought it would be nice to head out for dinner - and I think wise, seeing that I'm out with the boys later in the week (and one girl who has a special invite). And for those who've read a few of my recent posts, you might be familiar with my frustration with a couple of the local pubs that don't have a web presence. But they're pubs, so I'm kind of willing to let them off the hook - at least until they start featuring live music in the evening, in which case they should have a web presence (take note Elmdale House Tavern. . . re-read the slag about settling for a Facebook page).
But for a restaurant not to have a website when it opens is a crime - figuratively. And here we're talking Back Lane Cafe and Alpha Soul Cafe that are recent additions to the community - and Trio, which has been around for a bit longer. And while I'll throw a bone to Tennessy Willems for at least having a landing page and making available a pdf of their menu, that is not a website. But hey, Back Lane Cafe has a Twitter feed, so I guess the food is good!
I really can't believe that I'm the first to say it, but guys, you can't depend upon these local foodie sites to market your restaurants for you. I'm absolutely not a restaurateur, but I suspect the first year after opening is critical to the success and sustainability of your place. And while I'll be the first to admit that social proofing is by far your best reference, I still want to check out a website before I jump on the Vespa and head across to Hintonburg - because frankly, a 140 character tweet from Megan just isn't going to cut it if the weather is a bit dodgey.
Tuesday, September 06, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Spot on.
Post a Comment