Sunday, June 26, 2005

Where it all Began and What's it all About

Let's just start at the start... 1986. I was living, at the time, with my future wife Kim and, though not an official room mate - his usual presence in the apartment provided honourary status as such, Trace; dinners on the weekend invariably included all three of us - after which Trace and I would hit some bar, and Kim would head off to bed - while we were nursing hang-overs the next day, she was up at 5 am to do the morning news on CHEZ.

I was a budding cook - not chef. But man, could I cook up a disaster. I think they were all pretty edible and no body died, but both Trace and Kim had to sit through a maelstrome of swearing while they came together... and then they ate them like troopers while I provided a narrative of "what it should have been".

Trace suggested a cooking show - a weekly edition that would have me conjuring up some elaborate meal, only to seemingly destroy it in prime time... every week a new creation gone awry: "Cooking with Kilby".

Never a big fan of television, this new medium seems way more fun... and not limited to prime time. So, what's it all about? Food.... everything Food.

  • my favorite kitchen appliance;
  • my latest disaster;
  • who's going to win "Cooking Under Fire";
  • why you'd carry half your spice collection across Canada to your parents place.... why would you carry half your spice collection across Canada? Well, how many people do you know have ground pasilla in their spice rack?
  • a new ingredient that I've found... or you've found;
  • how to stop cream from curdling when you add it to soup... and still want the soup warm;
  • a good book to read... about FOOD;
  • why a $20 pastry brush is better than a $5 one; and,
  • why tortilla soup is my favorite thing to make.
You get the picture. I love food and everthing food. So, here we go. An outlet for all you folk out there who love talking about Food and everything food.

I encourage you to contribute, share your thoughts, and enjoy.

No comments: