Monday, October 10, 2005

A Screw is not the Same

In between closing off the quarter this weekend, I spent a fair bit if time in France. It's amazing how a meal can transport you thousands of kilometres away. Yesterday it was to the border with Italy and today to Paris.

One of my favorite indulgences is Steak Tartare. So after finally shaking off one of my friends from Dallas, I popped down to the charcuterie late this afternoon and asked him to trim up some tenderloin, nipped over to the boulanger for a baguette ancien, then to my vegetable dealer for a couple of potatoes to make some frites. And as I was preparing dinner I was listening to the new CD by Pink Martini.

As Kim was opening the wine this evening she jokingly held out the cork for me to "sniff" - But it was a New Zealand wine and it had a screw cap. So what does a Somellier do when faced with a screw cap? I mean really, what's the world coming to "by Jove".

No comments: