Friday, October 14, 2005

It's a Scary World Out There

I wasn't sure what to title this blog entry... first off, the disclaimer - it's not really about food, but about a confectionary. I was going to write a public service announcement, but as I started doing a bit of research I realized there is a whole underworld devoted to this subject of which I - the chocolate bar lover - was entirely unaware. The Kit Kat.

The Public Service Announcement - if you haven't seen it, beware; and if you've seen it and haven't tried it - Don't! The Banana Kit Kat. I saw it yesterday in the corner confectionary and in an Bourdainesque whim I picked it up... and it was disgusting. I can't ever remember doing the "ick, my mouth is full of crap and spit out all the partly masticated slime" stunt - but I came damn close yesterday. It was vile. It's hard to get this visceral about a chocolate bar until you've tried the Banana Kit Kat. So consider yourself forewarned.

And I've now done a little bit of research - at least 3 google searches. And there is a whole kit kat world out there... and I suspect some of these things are almost as vile as the aforementioned Banana Kit Kat. Now this is obviously not something I track closely, and we've probably all seen the slow Kit Kat kreeop - the super thick Kit Kat, the caramel kit kat.... but here you go:
  • Luscious Lime Kit Kat
  • Lemon Cheesecake Kit Kat
  • Strawberry Kit Kat
  • Orange Kit Kat
  • Pineapple Kit Kat
  • Passion Fruit Kit Kat
  • Christmas Pudding Kit Kat
  • Melon Kit Kat
  • and my personal favorite... Green Tea Kit Kat... you gotta love Japan.

That's about all I'm going to say about Kit Kat.... other than there are way too many people out there who have way too much time on their hands... as I come across a blog called Kit Kat Konspiracy and a Kit Kat Wiki.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I think adding artificial banana flavoring to just about anything is wrong. Good on ya for trying it though. When I first moved to Ottawa I tried a banana flavored ale at Abe and Roscoe's. Although I split one pitcher of it 3 ways (so basically we all consumed one large, gross glass each) I had the worst hang-over of my life (at that point in time...there's an airport scene you'll recall that is worse). I decided then that banana extract is a bad idea.