Wednesday, November 16, 2005

A man before his time....

Every year as Christmas nears I keep my eye open for the stupidest kitchen gadget of the year. One year it was the electric butter-melter, followed a year later by the electric egg cooker. There are apparently no limits of embarassment to which some folks will go to have the latest and greatest in the kitchen.

Well this year things got off to an earlier start. I was walking through Domus this weekend and came across a Marinade Injector. Now, let me digress for a minute or two.

When I was in grade 7 I entered the world of business. My mother, a nurse, would bring home sterilized syringes of varying sizes for my brother and me to fight over.... and with. Well, it didn't take me long to realize that filling a 200 cc syringe up with water and firing it off forty feet at your brother from behind a berm (what I think in Private Ryan they call defilade fire), is something with high kid-appeal. So with a few words to my supplier I became a budding young entrepreneur. I set the pricing on the syringes - 50 cc, 100 cc and 200 cc, and set up my business behind the portables..... that was until I was unceremoniously called to the vice principal's office... and busted.

Which brings me back to the Marinade Injector. These things are apparently big in cajun cooking, and highly useful when you have a yearning for Deep-fried Turkey! I, on the other hand, recognized it immediately.... this gadget was nothing more than a 200 cc syringe with a small metal straw.

Now me, I fall back onto a good glass bowl, a spoon, and patience..., but apparently I missed the mark in grade 7... the money's obviously not in the water fight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

1-Not everyone has access to syringes--unless they are a diabetic or a junkie.
2.-Deep Fried Turkey is wonderful, do not think of fried chicken, it is nothing like that at all.
3. These injectors are nothing new.

K. Scott said...

True enough "Jo" - the gadgets are nothing new; but as a Canadian I'm always amazed when I see something like this - I gotta wonder what makes you'alls like to stand around a huge bucket of boiling hot oil and watch a turkey fry. Makes me think of squeeling pigs.

Anonymous said...

Andrew has used a flavor injector before on spiced cinnamon pork and it was heavenly. Not sure if that had anything to do with flavor being inserted inside the meat, or if it was just the overall result. I think he found injecting stuff with other stuff thrilling though ;-).

Anonymous said...

1) When making a roast do you just rub garlic on the outside or insert some into wholes in the roast?
2) Many pro-chefs use vacuums marinade machines to draw the marinade into the meat but who can afford that.
3) How long do you marinade 20lbs of pork butt for pulled pork or a Beef Brisket?
4) You should try before you deny. It could end up like your flavored oils!!!!

K. Scott said...

OK,OK... "injecting some reason" was just too compelling. I am willing to go out on a limb here and buy one of these "gadgets" and try it... not on 20 lbs of Pulled Pork, mind you - but I'm sure I can find something - but it better not cost more than $9.99 or I'm back to my spoon - if nothing else it will make a good Blog Entry... jeeze next thing you know someone will have me getting a Diving Kife or something.