Number 1 - Kitchen Tongs
These things cost all of $6 (for an inexpensive pair - and up to $12 for the rubber handled ones), and are an absolute must for anyone who likes to spend time in the kitchen; from turning papita-crusted halibut, pan-fried steak or even tossing salad, a pair of tongs is essential.Number 2 - Bar Towels
I was a late convert to these a year or so ago when I got into a rowl over the number of dish towels I was going through with every meal. My friend Anthony says that they're good for picking up hot dishes and saving on burns, which they are, but mine are more often the scapegoat for mucky hands - which is why I go through two or three with every meal.Number 3 - Little Prep Bowls
Now there's no special format for these little things, but they're the recepticle for everything that is fun about cooking. You may have heard me wax poetic about Anthony's disseration on "getting your mise together"; well having a good collection of little bowls is exactly what you're going to need if you want to get this done.
Number 4 - A Good Frying Pan
I have 3 frying pans - an 8" (measured from the inside) enamel coated cast iron frypan, a 6' (measured from the outside) Le Crueset frypan, and a 10" (measured from the inside) Paderno frypan - and still, I need another one. It was one of the top items on my Christmas list this year - an antidote to cut down on the swearing - another 8" frypan. A good, robust collection is a must have.
Number 5 - A Small Collander
Like frying pans, I have 3 collanders - the typical stainless steel 9" collander, a plastic 9" collander, and my latest addition - a 7" stainless steal collander; the last is an absolute must. With two people in our household I use it more than any of the others... and it's just so gosh darn cute.
Number 6 - A Chinois
This was an unbelievable addition to my cooking accoutrements, and for that I must credit The French Laundry. If you're a person who loves soups - whether you make them or someone else makes them for you, a Chinois is what differentiates a pureed soup from being good to one that is remarkable. Push a soup through a Chinois two or three times and the result is one that is velvety smooth leaving diners in awe...
Number 7 - A Thai Mortar and Pestle
I look at some of the things I enjoy most in my kitchen and many of them have been added in the last 12 months - my Thai Mortar and Pestle is one of these. It's a large stone dish with a heavy mortar that is just perfect for crushing lemon grass, hot peppers, limes, corriander and corriander seeds into the perfect paste for marinating chicken. No kitchen should be without one.
Number 8 - Le Crueset Dutch Oven
This was a christmas present that I received two years ago, and it opened up a whole avenue of opportunities for me. If you've seen my recipe for Scott's Sunday Afternoon Stock, the Dutch Oven is the key. My sister differentiates those who cook with a slow-cooker (I won't comment on this class of people) and those who cook with a Dutch Oven. For the joy of the latter - accept no substitute.
Number 9 - The Hand Blender
Like the flavored oils, I poo poo'd these when they were first introduced in the early eighties but since then, as I've come to enjoy cooking more, I've begun to appreciate how useful a hand blender is in the kitchen. From whipping up some caper-tarragon dressing, some herbed butter, or blending eggs, a hand blender is just too convenient to do without.
Number 10 - A Chef's Knife
A couple of years ago I received a Chef's Knife for Christmas and it has since become my premiere knife for cooking. Chopping closer to the hilt is perfect for cutting smaller items - cherry tomatoes and the like, and the wide blade is perfect for gathering items, such as freshly chopped herbs. I have aWusthof Classic Chef's Knife and I just bought a Mac Knife for my nephew and his new wife, but there are so many good choices that it's hard to recommend one over the other - it is a very personal decision.
And there you have it - my first list; the ten things I value most in my kitchen (at this point in time - subject to change on a moment's notice); and ten things which I think would make great gifts for anyone who likes to spend time there.
No comments:
Post a Comment