Friday, February 24, 2006

Wasabi is the new thirty!

Oh. Sorry, that probably makes no sense. But just days after I write that wonderful review of Blue Diamond's new Wasabi and Soy Sauce Almonds, I have to conclude that the food industry has gone wasabi-crazy. The latest product I have come across is President's Choice Blue Menu Rice & Corn Chips - Japanese Wasabi & Honey flavour... you'll take special note, of course, that they are Japanese wasabi & honey flavour; as if we need that national moniker to ensure people that President's Choice is pushing something authentic here.

Ok - I bought a bag and they're not bad. They actually have an obvious faux wasabi taste to them in the Wasabi Peas style, without being overly hot; and I guess the honey tempers that heat a little by rounding out with a little sweetness - although I could never state that it was attributed to honey.

But I'm not sure this is the point here. As far as I'm concerned this is called pile-on. This is is all too ominous of the Kettle-chip craze when a small outfit called Mrs Vicky's came out with a great little product that ultimately spawned an industry - one that became self-mocking when the traditional crappy chip companies - Hostess, Lays, you know the guys, came out with their own line of Kettle chips... we're only waiting now for the tube guys - Pringles and the like, to come out with their own line and I think we will have seen the end.

We see also see it regularly with beer - and the pile-on guys never get it right. It started with micro-brewery beer; the big guys saw the attention it garnered (read market share) and decided to brew up crap like Rickard's Red or honey-brown anything... A micro-brewery comes out with a good smoke or fruit flavored beer and the shopping centre brands will be all over like a bull's ass at fly-time.

... and in my estimable judgement we are nearing that line with Wasabi. Last year, maybe the year before, it was Thai this, Thai that - picture lemon grass. The year before we were all over mesquite. And this year it's wasabi.

Yes, its popular; yes it tastes good.... but it's kind of like being forty.... yesterday's thirty! And eventually it all gets old.

No comments: