I don't know if it was the
Fog of War that made me forget this one critical step in the process but I paid the price. A few nights back, with the air still grasping on to that cold blustery edge of winter I was inspired to create something autumnal - a seasonal bridge in reverse. I picked up some Acorn Squash and some chestnuts that I wanted to roast as the base of a stuffing for some unfortunate, finickety little game hen. Putting the squash and chestnuts into the oven I sat down to relax with a suitable winter ale..... the
explosion came within five minutes... the oven heated to a gentle 350 degrees, disturbing the molecular structure of the chestnuts, exciting them into pint-sized kamikazi starch balls.....with the ensuing mess like the kitchen version of an anti-personnel mine - the aftermath of a bomb-disposal unit that had come in to my kitchen and detonated the little puppies inside the steal containment shell of my convection oven.....
...
Remember...., these babies are not unlike us - they need to
vent... or they'll explode... and the clean-up is a
bitch!
4 comments:
Scott, you really need to write professionally - restaurant reviews or simple poesy. What-have-you. At some point I'd like to link to your blog from mine, if you're cool with that.
-- Patrick R (the work Patrick)
Thought you would have known that; could have told you had you asked. We gained our wisdom through trying to roast chestnuts in a frying pan years ago with similar results.
M&D
Patrick, absolutely, you're welcome to link to the site - thank you.
And as for the belated advice - well, there's nothing like personal experience to make a point.
My dad always said that the old adage of learning the easy way or learning the hard way is wrong. Only the hard way truly ingrains the minutiae of an experience to the point where it can be properly called learning. :) That said, an incident is never a mistake unless it's repeated. (though I don't envy your having to clean that up...)
-- Patrick
Post a Comment