With the recent kitchen renovation I was given marching orders to get a new Microwave Oven - our's was seventeen years old and, while still functional, was showing its age...style wise (and we all know what that's like). So a couple of weekends ago I popped down to my appliance-vendor-of-choice (Universal Appliances) and I scouted out the latest in Microwave/Convection ovens.... and what struck me was how little has changed since I first bought my Quasar, oh-so-many-years-ago.I'm quite surprised at the limited selection that's available in Microwave/Convection ovens. Sure, they're almost twice the price of a standard microwave... but the added flexibility afforded by a second oven for what amounts to an extra $300, is invaluable. Panasonic, which took over the Quasar line, has 3 models on offer - one of which is so small that it's not really worth it. GE has one, but it has a plastic shell, which virtually rules it out from the start, and Miele has introduced one recently but, in the typical European style it, it looks more at home built-in above your standard Miele oven.
I also can't understand why more people don't look at these more seriously; and even seem to be unaware of them. I don't think I can function in the kitchen without one. On the one hand, with the smaller convection oven, it has to be much less expensive to heat and use; but it also let's you easily prepare two dishes at the same time - and, if needed, at very different temperatures. And when everything is ready you can pull the one dish out to let it rest and pop in another that you might want to warm up in the microwave.
My take-away here is that this is a very small investment for the added flexibility, convenience and ultimate cost savings... and if more people took advantage there would be more selection.
...and one of the few differences between my new Panasonic and my old Quasar? Well, after the Panasonic has "nuked" my Spaghetti Squash to the right temperature, and the LED light counts down the seconds, it beeps politely and then suggests that I "enjoy my meal". Now, how much extra do you figure I paid for that?!
No comments:
Post a Comment