Monday, May 28, 2007

Fun and a Peaceful Environment

This weekend I used three appliances that are quickly becoming mainstays around my kitchen. To be honest, I don't think they're adding much culinary sophistication or flare - but when I want what I have coined "cheap and sleazy" food - that is, dishes that can be pulled together quickly and easily, and guarantee high taste appeal - two of the three are a sure thing; the third just cuts down on the swearing.

You may recall two years ago that I was pining about a Bradley Smoker (see June 2005). Last summer I invested in one when it was 50% off - less than $200; a steal at twice the price. The thing about the Bradley Smoker is that it makes the process of smoking food so "gosh darn easy", as my friend Alton Brown would say.

So the other day when I was thinking about having to work in the stupid garden all weekend, I also thought about smoking some food. On Saturday I began marinating two pieces of pork tenderloin in a mixutre of ginger, garlic, soya sauce, maple syrup and a little chinese chili paste - and 24 hours later it was ready to be mesquite smoked. I also added a large filet of salmon that I had rubbed with chili and chipotle spices that would form a spicey glaze; and then finally, I added in some chicken breasts to make great smoked chicken salad sandwiches for the week's lunches.

Now, don't get me wrong. There's a downside to having a smoker. For starters, smoked food is pretty rich - and when you fire up the smoker there's a tendency to want to stock up for the winter; so it's handy to have friends and family around. And secondly - if you think having lunch at The Lonestar leaves you smelling like day-old socks, just try smoking your own food. The smoke gets in to every nook and cranny; your hair and finger nails are going to smell like you've spent the winter beside a campfire. In a week's time, after seven showers, six baths and the odd dousing of after shave, you'll still have the hint of nature pervading your pores.

The second appliance that I used was my recently purchased deep-fryer. I'm still amazed that I hadn't bought one of these earlier. I realize people get scared off by the smell; and, in my eyes, whenever I see the word "deep" in front of anything it screams intense bordering on excess. But sometimes you just need something really fried ; and when you decide on sandwiches as a meal, and you own a deep-fryer, you have an obligation to have french fries.

My deep fryer is a Waring Pro DF100. At one time I had looked at the DF250, but I had a commitment problem; but when I saw the DF100 on sale for $69 it was hard to resist. The thing I really like about it is the convenience factor. It's easy to use, easy to clean, and the industial engineer who designed it obviously new what made for home-friendly appliances. It even has little grooves for your fingers on the underside of the shell so it can be easily carried out of the way with the oil inside. It generates a fair bit of steam but there's hardly any noticeable smell - and the fries are great.

The final appliance in the troika is my Waring Pro Knife Professional Sharpener. I don't know what it is about me and knives but regardless of the quality I am an expert at destroying an edge; and as my dog knows only too well, the intensity of my swearing increases inversely to the sharpness of my knife. I've been dealing with this impariment since I started cooking. But at the risk of sounding like a corporate spokesman this knife sharpener is a saviour. It grinds and polishes the blade very much like it was professionally sharpened. And once again, it's easy to use.

So there you have it. There are some appliances out there that I really question - the electric butter melter, pepper grinder and egg cooker come to mind. But the deep fryer, smoker and knife sharpener I can support. So if there's someone in your life fishing around for that special gift idea hint at one of these.

1 comment:

Wayward Mind said...

Okay, I've got to see a household smoker. Your kitchen must look like Q's lab.