
I'm flummoxed! One of my favorite accents is corn shoots. They typically show up as an accent, as two or three shoots layed theatrically across filet or such. And yet, as often as they're used by chefs to add vertical drama to a dish, they're rarely found on the vegetable stalls. They're also hard to find on the Internet - try "googling" "corn shoots" - as one word or as a phrase. Almost nothing. It's like they're a great secret among the professionals.
Yet I found some the other day at the Byward Fruit and Vegetable market. According to the proprietor, Isaac, he receives them through the summer, delivered on Wednesday. I can only imagine since I haven't seen them before that the local chefs nab them all up. But I'm on to them!
If you haven't tried them, seek them out. They're an intense burst of sweet corn, captured in a single frawn.
3 comments:
Corn shoots! Fantastic. With spring I've rediscovered the potential of shoots and sprouts. The other day at Herb and Spice I needed something plain so went with sunflower sprouts, but I need to go back and get some daikon sprouts for salads and see what else is in the pile there.
Whereabouts in the Market was the booth with the corn sprouts?
Thanks for the info! I just love that little store.
They were at the Byward Fruit and Vegetable - which is great; terrific organics in there too.
Post a Comment