Wednesday, July 04, 2007

A Quick, Simple Meal

I do not have Children. I think that's a declaration that I should probably make up front before any posting; and, in time, it may become my tagline. The conclusion being that much of what I write about is from the perspective of someone who, typically, arrives home after the sun has set and can prep dinner while entertained and educated by a selection from audible.com.

Some of you may recall that last summer I was stranded for a night in New York with two of my friends... precipitating Sushi Gate. On the Friday night we stumbled upon the Uber-Chef Incumbent's dressed-down restaurant, Lupa. And as a follow-up, one of my co-conspirators scouted out Mario's Bavette with Cheese and Pepper.

In my household this has become a staple, albeit modified by a subtle touch - I use much less oil (trusting instinct and eye), I eliminate the butter, and I prefer pepper that has been hand-ground in a mortar and pestle.

This evening I arrived home shortly before 7PM and was, therefore, a little pressed for time. When it came to preparing dinner I conjured up a quick salad from 4 different types of lettuce that I had picked up in the market on the weekend. I put on a pot of water and, while the pot was coming to a boil, I ground some pepper in the mortar; I shredded a little parmesan; drained off some diced canned tomatoes; chopped some garlic - put some of the tomatoes into a small cast iron frying pan with some olive oil and some of the garlic; ground a little pepper and salt over top, and let it heat while the pasta cooked.

I then mixed some vinegar and olive oil for a simple vinaigrette - which I also warmed slightly; and drizzled that sparingly... very sparingly... over the salad.

I added some terrific dried pasta, rustichella d'abruzzo, to the pasta pot - tested it frequently to ensure that it was al dente, and when it was ready I drained it off in a collander. I put some on my regular dining partner's plate and topped it with the tomato mixture, and to the remainder I added olive oil (again, a good dousing but not so that it was swimming); I sprinkled a little parmesan and a fair bit of the pepper - I wanted it to look freckled enough worth teasing!

And then I plated my own.

This meal took me no more than ten minutes from prep to plate. Granted, ten minutes of pretty intense focus - I'm resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to replay that section from the audible book. But still ten minutes.

Within this time I served my regular dining partner what she wanted and I served for myself what I wanted; both were based on pasta but they were very different - individual. There are a lot of options here for a pretty broad combination of dishes: Szechwan, with some ground szechwan pepper, a minute drizzle of sesame oil and a sprinkling of sesame seeds; something Russian influenced, with a little ground pink pepper corn, a drizzle of vodka and maybe a little chopped cold salmon that is in the fridge - or traditional Italian with the chopped tomatoes, maybe some chopped basil and sprinkled freshly ground parmesan.

OK - back to Children. I know I'll be accused of being delusional and, at their peril, someone may offer up their children as a test, but I'd like to think that this 10 minute meal could be made with or without the little urchins running around. And far be it from me to say, but I can't imagine a child who wouldn't like pink peppercorns, szechwan peppers or vodka. I mean really!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right... I have made this (in its simplest form -- not two ways!) with kids running around. Young kids will eat this with just cheese and maybe meatballs. No visible pepper please, for the first 10 times anyway, otherwise you'll be asked to "take that stuff away."